Virtual CISO Services
The Virtual Chief Information Security Officer (CISO)
What is a Virtual CISO (vCISO)?
A virtual CISO (vCISO) is just like a full-time, on-site Chief Information Security Officer. They help an organization strategize, plan, and execute a sound, robust and viable information security program. They combine the vision of executive leadership with the needs of securing the organization into a cohesive, actionable plan. There is no difference between a traditional on-site, 40 hour per week CISO and the vCISO except the vCISO isn’t usually on-site constantly. The use of technology today affords us the opportunity to interact with various teams without maintaining a physical presence. Some of the tasks of a CISO like:
- Managing the information security team
- Interacting with executive management
- Attending board of directors’ meetings giving them an update on the state of security in the organization
- Policies, procedures, standards, and guidelines
- Plan them
- Write them
- Present them to management for approval
- Incident response and event management
- Plan awareness training to disseminate the information to the organization
- Publish them and then make yourself available to the organization for clarification on key points
- Plan security infrastructure in alignment with direction from ‘the Board’
This is just a small subset of the almost fifty different tasks that a CISO would be called upon to perform. With today’s tools, all of the above can be handled and managed by a vCISO with minimal onsite interaction.Learn More about Virtual CISO Services
What Does a Remote/Virtual CISO Mean to Your Organization?
Information security risk has long been the ‘elephant in the room’. Everyone knows it. Everyone sees it. You can’t avoid it but we pretend it isn’t happening, until it happens! What is “it”? The security event…an INCIDENT! A CISO plans for these kinds of events. A vCISO makes the same plans, anticipates issues and problems, and gets the backing of executive management to execute those plans, the one and only difference being that they don’t usually maintain a physical presence at the ‘office’.
Mid-tier and small businesses have long relied on outsourcing to close gaps. From HR, to payroll, to IT, organizations have learned to leverage the expertise of outsourcers to provide critical services when hiring someone full time proves to be counterproductive. The same can now be said for hiring a vCISO. In the past, hiring senior leadership (CEO, CFO, etc.) required an exhaustive search, every day without senior security leadership in place is a day closer to a catastrophic event.
Our vCISO service offerings:
No two organizations are the same. Everyone has different needs and challenges. Crafting an information security strategy and program requires careful thought and meticulous planning. Because no two organizations are the same, our vCISO service has three tiers that can be customized to fit your organization’s needs:
|Advisory Services||Provides a trusted senior security advisor to help guide your organization through the construction of an information security program.
This service introduces the tenets of information security to the organization.
|Consultative Services||Includes the above Advisory Services
We begin the assist you with the construction and management of your information security program with a more hands on approach. This service begins the process of having our skilled information security team not only advising you on the building and maintenance of the security program but providing more hands-on support in the process.This tier is for the organization that wants more assistance than the Advisory Service. This service provides more hands-on support: assisting with the drafting of the security policy (for example) rather than providing critical advice on the policy.
|Managed Services||“Leave the driving to us”
We take over and run the full security program. Treat this as if this was a fulltime CISO hire.The two above tiers take a stepped approach. This tier assumes the full responsibility of building, managing, maintaining and improving the security program for the organization.This tier is for the organization that wants a more proactive team. By leaving the InfoSec practice to our skilled team, it allows the organization to focus completely on their core competencies.
How will your organization benefit from our vCISO service?
- Cost Savings
- You get the same quality of work of a full-time CISO at a fraction of the expense
- Our vCISO service comes with a variety of services that you would have to contract out on demand and that could be costly.
- We help you scale the service to your needs
- The time to hire a full-time CISO, in today’s security climate, could be upwards of 3-6 months
- The number of threats that your organization faces in these three months could easily destroy your company.
- The sooner you tackle the security program; the sooner you can have the right protections in place.
- You can focus on your core business
- By placing the information security program in the hands of our experts, you are free what you do best.
- As experts in the field, we can quietly integrate the security program into your organization and begin the process of building a sound security program from day one.