Last Updated on March 16, 2023
I’m a big fan of Charles M. Schulz’s Peanuts comic strips. Recently I came across an excellent fan wiki devoted exclusively to Linus’ security blanket, including all the many different ways that the blanket was reconfigured and put to use.
“In short your vCISO is all about peace of mind.”
You probably recall that Linus regularly used his blanket as a whip or fly swatter. It was also at one time or another pressed into service as a kite, a slingshot, a bullfighter’s cape, a hammock, a parachute, a pool table felt, and even second base—among many other uses.
As a vCISO, I can relate. Your vCISO or fractional CISO, along with your virtual security team, can serve as your “information security blanket” in (almost!) as many ways as Linus’ blanket served him and the Peanuts crew.
For example, your vCISO and team can:
- Focus on building and maintaining your company’s information security and/or privacy vision, strategy and program (the “classic” vCISO role)
- Deliver deep subject matter expertise wherever and whenever you need it
- Drive one or several high-priority point projects to quickly mitigate risk, prove regulatory compliance, etc.
- Support ISO 27001, SOC 2 or other certification/attestation efforts
- Function as a Data Protection Officer (DPO) for compliance with privacy mandates
- Help out on a near-daily basis, connect with your staff “periodically” to address longer-term concerns, or anything in between
- Act as a point person for audits and assessments
- Keep your third-party risk management (TPRM) program rolling forward
- Provide incident response direction and execution
- Conduct network penetration testing or vulnerability assessments
- Advise on application security issues
- Deliver security awareness education and/or social engineering testing
- And the list goes on…
In short your vCISO is all about peace of mind.
If your organization could use additional security expertise and guidance, but you can’t justify the prohibitive cost of full-time staffing, contact Pivot Point Security. A Virtual Security Team led by a vCISO could be the on-demand answer you’re looking for.
Successful vCISO = All Security Roles Filled
This document outlines the 3 critical roles and responsibilities of a Virtual Chief Information Security Officer: Architect, Builder, and Operator.
Download the free inforgaphic now!